Nieuhof Churchill's Voyages Rare Original Folio Copperplate Fish Engraving 1744
BEAUTIFUL COPPERPLATE FISH ENGRAVING FROM THE EAST INDIES. This rare and very striking folio copperplate engraving of a bat eagle ray, triggerfish, pufferfish, land and sea crabs, shrimps, and a sea cat, is from Churchill's third edition of. "A Collection of Voyages and Travels, ". And feature in the second section. John Nieuhoff's Remarkable Voyages and Travels to the East Indies. Published in London in 1744. Johannes Nieuhof (1618 -1672) was a merchant, draughtsman and sailor, who wrote about his travels around the world. At 22, he left his home and spent most of his life abroad, employed by the Dutch East India Company. Nieuhof provided a first-hand and realistic glimpse into the East Indies long before English accounts by Stamford Raffles and William Marsden were published. His travel accounts were published at a time when numerous travel literature "on the exotic lands newly discovered in Asia, Africa and the Americas" were produced by Europeans. Although there were earlier Dutch accounts of the East Indies before Nieuhof, his work is still influential and significant for being one of the few Dutch works to become part of the standard English travel literature and for its "lively, first-hand" accounts and remarkable illustrations. Singapore; Oxford: Oxford University Press Reid, A. Compiled by Awnsham and John Churchill this is a very valuable collection, both for its range of coverage and for the fact that it gives the original accounts... The third edition is considered to be best because of its greater inclusiveness and its copious index (Hill).
You can be sure of owning an original print that is beautifully produced. And is also a good investment.
With our extensive knowledge and meticulous research their. We do not sell reproductions of any kind. & descriptions to sell on their website. These watermarks are not on the original prints. This item is in the category "Art\Art Prints".
The seller is "rarefishprints" and is located in this country: GB. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Size: Medium (up to 36in.)
- Region of Origin: East Indies
- Handmade: No
- Artist: Johannes Nieuhof
- Production Technique: Copper plate engraving
- Framing: Unframed
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United Kingdom
- Style: Antique Fish Print
- Item Height: Plate: 11 inches 26 cm approx.
- Item Width: Plate: 14 inches 36 cm approx.
- Material: Chain-lined paper
- Theme: Travels to the East indies - fish engraving, Natural History - marine life.
- Time Period Produced: 1700-1749
- Type: Rare copperplate folio engraving
- Title: Remarkable Voyages & Travels to the East Indies
- Features: Unframed
- Image Orientation: Landscape
- Subject: Fish engraving from Nieuhof's Travels East Indies
- Signed: No
- Personalise: No
- Original/Licensed Reprint: Original
- Year of Production: 1744
- Date of Creation: Antique (Pre-1900)
- Width (Inches): 17 ¾inches 50 cm approx.com
- Originality: Original
- Colour: Fine original professional hand colouring
- Height (Inches): 13 ¾ inches 34.5 cm approx.
- Print Surface: Paper