Octopus Aldrovandi 1642 Woodcut Very Rare Original Engraving In Fine Condition
OVER 400 HUNDRED YEARS OLD. This very striking and extremely rare woodcut engraving of an Octopus is from Aldrovandi's exceptional. "De reliquis animalibus exanguibus libri quatuor Bolona, post mortem eius editi: nempe de mollibvs, crvstaceis, testaceis et zoophytis , ". Published in Bologna, Italy, in 1642. These beautiful and extraordinary woodcut engravings greatly influenced succeeding illustrated zoological works and were copied extensively by such authors as Merian & Jonson.
Ref, Paula Findlen, Possessing Nature: Museums, Collecting and Scientific Culture in Early Modern Italy 1996, p. 160 -77; Pietsch, Cuvier - Historical Portrait of the Progress of Ichthyology 1995, p. Peter Dance & Geoffrey N.
Swinney Classic Natural History Prints; Fish. 184 - 185; Allen p. 23 x 35 cm - 9 x 13. Watermarks are not on the original prints.
You can be sure of owning an original print that is beautifully produced. And is also a good investment. With our extensive knowledge and meticulous research their authenticity is guaranteed.
We do not sell reproductions of any kind. This item is in the category "Art\Art Prints". The seller is "rarefishprints" and is located in this country: GB. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Artist: Ulisse Aldrovandi
- Unit of Sale: Single Piece
- Originality: Original 17th century woodcut engraving
- Image Orientation: Landscape
- Size: Medium (up to 36in.
- Signed: No
- Date of Creation: Antique (Pre-1900)
- Title: Octopus
- Region of Origin: Italy
- Framing: Unframed
- Original/Licensed Reprint: Original
- Subject: Marine life
- Colour: Fine professional hand colouring
- Type: Rare 17th century woodcut
- Style: Rare & beautiful 17th century woodcut engraving
- Theme: Art
- Features: Unframed
- Production Technique: woodcut engraving
- Country/Region of Manufacture: Italy
- Handmade: Yes
- Time Period Produced: 1642